Saturday, July 27, 2013

I Hate Luv Storys (2010)

To quote 27 Dresses, "A man who doesn't believe in marriage? How refreshing!"

Yeah, it's not a new idea. And the filmmakers were clearly aware of that. They intentionally play off every cliche in the book.


And they try to spin it off a little, but it doesn't really work. It ends up okay. Nothing great, nothing terrible.


Jay (Imran Khan) is assistant director to the director of great love stories, Veer (Samir Soni), but Jay is not a believer in love. So when he has to work with the love-obsessed set director, Simran (Sonam Kapoor), they don't see things eye-to-eye at first. But then they become friends, and then love happens, although Jay is somewhat romantically retarded and it takes him forever to realize and accept the fact. And then a bit for Simran to decide to go with it, too.


My favorite part is Rajiv, the guy who plays the actor in the film they are making. In spite of being rather self-absorbed -- he stops Jay outside an elevator at one point to point out to him how good his own tight jeans make his butt look -- he is also a good friend to Jay. He pulls him aside and gives him encouragement and advice about love when he realizes Jay is in love with Simran, telling him that girls are like buses -- they come and go, but only one bus will take you home.


And my favorite part of the whole movie, by far, actually, was when Rajiv gets Jay admitted to the party where Simran will be at the end, and Jay runs and gives him a big hug and tells him thank you in the best way he can.


Rajiv looks surprised at first, but immediately smiles and accepts the compliment.


I don't know what that tells you about me, but that was the only thing in the movie that surprised a grin out of me, (partially because I love Rajiv's response -- I think it's adorable. For some reason, there are few things I find as delightfully whimsical as narcissism. In films anyway, and when used for comic effect.)

Well, that's about it. Other than that I wish Bollywood (and Hollywood, too) would get tired of the Casanova hero, because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment