Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Umrao Jaan (1981)

Some adjectives that come to mind for this movie are beautiful, well-crafted, tragic, sensual, and unsatisfying.

The courtesan in this movie is about the same as the courtesans in Benazir, Devdas, and Mangal Pandey. She's gorgeous, well spoken, elegant, graceful, tragic, and hungry for love. Her love affair does not work out, in spite of her best efforts. The difference between this one and the others is that this one has the family story, too, which is also sad.

Artistically, it's a well-made film. The beginning and end mirror each other, the way jewelry and mirrors are used is significant, etc. The costumes, the songs, and Rekha are all lovely.

My least favorite part of the movie: the plot. I don't go in for tragedies that much. Especially ones about courtesans. (If it has to be a tragedy, I prefer something noble, as long as it isn't also pointless and stupid.)

My favorite part of the movie: definitely the songs. They were lovely, especially this one. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a version of it with subtitles, which are part of what I enjoyed about this song, but it's still lovely without.

No comments:

Post a Comment