Saturday, February 27, 2010

Parichay (1972)



I loved, loved, loved this film.

And I can't put my finger on what it was. There's nothing especially spectacular about any of its parts. It's a fairly straightforward remake of The Sound of Music, and probably has even less drama than the original. Still, Jeetendra, Jaya, Pran, and Master Rajoo Shrestha all do excellent jobs in their roles. It's hardly melodramatic, and yet it still had enough punch to make me tear up at one point. It's not eventful, but it's hardly boring (I never believe people when they tell me that, but really and truly it isn't). It's just a really sweet, heartfelt film, and I like that kind.

On a side note, it makes me laugh how much they apparently thought Vinod Khanna needed to be disguised in order to give Jeetendra a fair chance. Vinod Khanna, I admit, is an extremely attractive man, but I'm not sure they needed to go quite so far.


I quite liked Jeetendra in this film and began to wonder why I haven't seen more of him.


On the other hand, Vinod Khanna is Vinod Khanna, and his charm shines even through his bulky glasses and bad hair. So perhaps they had reason to be worried.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this review of this lovely film and I'm so glad to see someone else loved it as much as I did. It's so cute and sweet and charming, with lovely performances. Love it. I love this line from your review: "It's not eventful, but it's hardly boring". And this: "... they apparently thought Vinod Khanna needed to be disguised in order to give Jeetendra a fair chance." Well said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! It's hard to write something about a film like this, a film that's totally charming, but whose charm comes from the way they tell the story more than from the story itself.

    ReplyDelete