Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lakshyam (2007)



I'm not sure what to say about this film, except that I enjoyed it and that I would hesitate to recommend it to most people.

Gopichand's character manages to be both mischievous and likable. His chemistry with Anushka is good, and their scenes together are adorable and very funny. The songs are also very good, with very fun picturizations, including one where Spiderman shows up as a backup dancer.

On the other hand, the film is quite violent, and I fast-forwarded some good chunks where the machetes were out meaning business. The plot was somewhat scattered, although on the whole not a bad version of a typical Telugu action storyline. Here is how the film opens:

In the midst of wedding preparations, Anushka is shown happily getting ready to be the bride. When she is dressed she wanders out and sweetly greets her groom, who seems a bit of a goober. She tricks him into helping her over the wall, and she gaily escapes on her scooty. A police officer recognizes her as they wait at a light and chases her out onto a lonely road, where Gopichand stands waiting for him. Gopichand blows up the policeman, hops on her scooty, and they ride off into the sunset. And then the movie goes back a few months and starts at the beginning, before Anushka and Gopichand have met.

As I said, I liked it, but I think I would only recommend it to those already familiar with Telugu action films.

1 comment: