Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yuvakudu (2000)

Here's the back cover's take on this story, (spelling and grammatical errors preserved):
Siva (Sumanth) life long ambition had always been to join the Indian army. His father having died on the battle field serves to make his intention only stronger. However his attempts at getting into the army are not proving successful. When he meets sindhu (Bhoomika) and falls in love with her, he loses her by not declaring his love she treats him as she might any other friend. And when sindhu meets Padmavathi (Jaya Sudha) and agrees to marry her son, all hope for siva seems to be at an end. Will he ever realize any of his dreams?

Here's my take:
Padmavathi is a widowed mother who loves her son very much and is willing to do just about anything to make him happy. Her son, Shiva, is a spoiled, hot-tempered jerk who cares for nobody's feelings but his own. He falls for the beauty and compassionate heart of the neglected and love-starved Sindhu, but instead of trying to get to know her better or to win her favor, he arrogantly demands her hand in marriage. After she refuses to say yes immediately, he's barely civil to her, although he still likes her.* Padmavathi befriends Sindhu for the sake of her son's love, and Sindhu becomes attached enough to her to do anything for her. So Shiva lives happily ever after, sort of.

*I think his nastiness is supposed to show that he a tender heart that he's protecting with his arrogance. What he really has is a preoccupation with his own wants and a total lack of interest in what anyone else is thinking or feeling.

Why don't they hire me to write the back covers of these things?

2 comments:

  1. Your summary is much closer to my view. I don't know -- I liked aspects of the film, but he really was a jerk. If I'd been her, after he threw that fit when she asked for time to consider his marriage proposal, I'd have said, "You know what, never mind. I don't need time, because you've just revealed when an abusive and mean human being you are. So no, I will never agree to marry you. Thanks for asking."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I liked aspects, too. The premise should have been good--a love-starved girl marries for parental affection rather than romantic love and learns to love her husband. And the relationship between the two women was sweet, but it's all kind of spoiled by the son being such a jerk. And I agree, I was thinking that about rejecting the proposal, too.

    ReplyDelete